Here is a break from my usual equine themed posts. As many of you don’t know, I love espresso and Chai, but as a poor college kid (and being extremely frugal), I can’t justify going out and buying a drink from a coffee hut on a regular basis. So here I have recreated my favorite Dirty Chai Latte from my favorite coffee hut, Florence Coffee.
I know traditionally that Chai Lattes do not have espresso in them, but as the espresso fiend that I am I can’t help but make it “dirty”. Usually I get a 16oz Chai Latte with a triple shot of espresso. I am lactose intolerant, so I always get soy or my favorite is almond milk. Here my take.
This is what you’ll need:
-Oregon Chai Latte Concentrate –Almond, Soy, or regular milk -Cafe Bustelo, or other favorite espresso -Glass (microwave safe) liquid measuring cup -Moka pot (stovetop espresso maker), or espresso machine. I personally love my stovetop stainless steal 3cp (3 demitasse cup) Imusa. -Demitasse cup to measure out shots -Lastly, your favorite giant mug.
-Optional. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and/or honey.
1. Fill up your moka pot with water to right under the steam valve. Then add you espresso to the basket. Do not tamp. Just fill up and level off. The grounds will expand as it brews. Then put on the stove over medium heat. Keep the lid open to keep an eye on the brewing process.
2. Measure out equal ratios of the chai latte concentrate to milk or milk replacer in the glass measuring cup. Stir and put in microwave on high till hot; mine took a minute.
3. Once your espresso had started to brew, watch for when it starts to gurgle. This is when you want to remove it from the heat to avoid getting the dregs.
4. Poor the chai latte in your mug and add however many shots you desire. I personally like 2-3. Measure them out with your demitasse cup.
5. At this point I’ve mixed everything up and adding a splash or two of the chai latte concentrate for taste. You can also add some cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or cardamom to the top as well. Honey would be good as well. You can serve either hot, or over ice. Delicious either way. At this point I also go for my favorite biscuit, which is McVite’s. Enjoy!
If you have any suggestions, comments, etc please post below.